1. Welcome to the Canadian Fishing Forum! If this is your first visit, please go ahead and sign-up to become a member! (Many threads and comments are visible only to Members who sign up with a VALID email address.) Do not hesitate to contribute and interact with fellow members.

I'm looking for a quality telescopic fishing rod

Discussion in 'New Member? Come Introduce Yourself. Say Hello...' started by newangler, Jan 17, 2022.

1. newangler

newangler New Member

Can you give me some suggestions? I don't want no cheap Chinese knockoff junk that can be found and bought on Alibaba. I want something durable, of high build quality that won't break easily, but small enough to slip into a backpack with a couple of lures for a day time hike up the river.

Someone on another forum was kind enough to inform me I wouldn't find a good American made piece, I'd have to opt for a Japan domestic import, would you agree? I want something that will serve me well for years so long as I take care of it. Thank you

2. Jneuf

Jneuf Well-Known Member

Not sure what your target species is, or what weight rod you're looking for, but St. Croix makes a pack rod that breaks down into three pieces.

3. Gotaf7

Gotaf7 Well-Known Member

4. craigm

craigm Well-Known Member

I have a couple Ugly Stik 3 piece rods. They do the job.

Frank_NK28 likes this.
  5. theKraken

theKraken Well-Known Member

6. Thane

Thane Well-Known Member

I'm not sure there's anything made in North America which is telescoping. Honestly I don't think much is made in North America anymore. If you look at rods and reels these days and everything originates in eastern Asia. I think most if not all rod blanks are imported even if they're assembled in the US. Maybe I'm wrong.

That said, if you're looking for a pack rod some of the above listed are good. It's going to depend on how you're fishing, species, and overall type of presentation. It's not a one size fits all kind of thing.

7. newangler

newangler New Member

I contacted Fenwick, their rods are still made in the US. Obviously they don't have a telescopic rod (that I'm aware of), but it's not really so much an American made rod that I'm after so much as it's to stay away from Chinese made garbage.

The St Croix Triumph and Fenwick HMG rods both look like solid contenders for something well made and discrete enough to be packed around for a day or two. Just waiting until they're back in stock in April to pull the trigger on picking one up. Still haven't decided which one to go for yet.. Again, they both look like EXCELLENT choices. Kind of leaning more towards the Fenwick though.

8. mulefan

mulefan Well-Known Member

I have a 4 piece Fenwick eagle and it's great. Comes in a tube, takes up no space. It's a light weight rod, but perfect for a truck or car rod ready in a heartbeat for a river opportunity

Frank_NK28 and Gord like this.